Tuesday, February 17, 2009

"Mommy, look!"




Wednesday was my salon appointment with the new stylist. I'm excited about my hair! I liked the lady who used to do it, but I was shocked to actually get EXACTLY what I asked for, for my very first time. No more Barbie blond, now it looks more natural. Todd and I had apts. at the same time so Rachele babysat for us and we took advantage of the time alone and went out to dinner. We ate at the local Italian restaurant and tried their calzones for our first time. I told the waitress to remind me not to pig out and eat the whole thing because I wanted to save room for one of their delicious desserts. Then I regretted saying anything because the calzone turned out to be so good I didn't want to stop eating it! Not even for dessert! So we'll be back there again soon... I love food way too much.

On the way home we stopped at my friend Allison's house to see her baby. She had him Friday, the 6th (Three weeks early... so unfair). He was cute as a button and she looked great! I brought and loaned her my post pardum bands. They were so nice to have after I had Ashton. They just support a tummy that's been through the wringer and they really help tighten ligaments and bones back into place faster.

Brielle's Valentine's Day party in pre-school was on Thursday. She had fun decorating sugar cookies and making little Valentine tags at home to give her friends. We decorated a jar and filled it with chocolates for her teacher as a big Valentine/thank you. Her teacher had given us that jar filled with peaches to go with a meal she made for us that previous Monday. I've had a rough time getting up and going lately and she was sweet enough to bring dinner- the best potato soup I've EVER had! With home canned peaches and home made bread.

My family drove in from California on Friday morning. I was expecting them around 11:00 but they drove a little on the fast side and showed up at 8:30... I was still in bed! Kind of embarrassing. We had a good weekend with them. Brielle bawled when they left and begged for April to stay exactly 50 more days. I don't know where she came up with that number, but she was devestated to say goodbye. While they were here we went to my sister, Rachele's college choir concert. She sings so good. My parents met her boyfriend, John, for the first time. He's such a nice guy. I like seeing the way my sister glows now that they are dating. Her demeanor seems to reflect in her a deeper understanding of how special and full of worth she is. I guess that is how I gauge how I feel about her boyfriends.

My mom and Rachele also helped me tie the quilt I made for the baby. My mom was sweet enough to pick me up the boards and C-clamps to make our own quilt tying set up over the table. Makes me want to make a lot more quilts! I've really had fun with it. I'm just finishing up the satin trim around the edges and then it's done!

At my Dr. apt. on Friday, the Dr. said I was suddenly measuring a little big for my due date. I hear women getting that news all the time and it never seems to mean anything when the baby is born, they're all still the normal size for that family's babies. But I've NEVER measured off of my due date in any of this pregnancy or any previous pregnancy either. So it did make me raise an eye brow. I've had my passion for FOOD for sure over the last few months. And chocolate... and milk shakes... and... Whoppers at Burger King which I usually hate. So it's probably just ME being bigger, not the baby.

Valentine's Day was fun. Todd and I left the kids with my brother, Marty, and drove to Barbacoa's in Boise while my parents went to dinner and a movie. We had made reservations for Barbacoa's quite a while ago because it's a hot spot. We LOVE their guacamole. The food was great- especially dessert, a chocolate suffle. They give flowers, candy, and a poem while there on Valentine's Day. They make it a special night. Todd and I trade every other year to be in charge of planning our Valentine's date and it was his turn this year. He knows the key to my heart lately is great food.

In light of President's Day yesterday; I've been watching the news and hearing a little about Chavez, the Venezuelan president, soon to be dictator. I served my mission there soon after he was elected president. I saw how quickly fear hit the people. Several times we weren't allowed to leave our apartments because of violence from protesters and governmental abuses on the streets in many towns and cities. Instantly the country was divided by the poor who feared but needed Chavez and all his promises to take their freedom in exchange for being given the things required to live. And the rest suddenly dispised him. The middle class was gone almost over night. He has taken so much control of their means to live that they all fear him NOT being reelected because they fear losing all that they need to survive. He is 10 years strong running and now having the vote to have no limit for time in office. Which I'm sure people will fear voting against for the same reasons. It's a great example to me of what a little extra power given to the government and a few unconstitutional favors given the people will do over not very much time.

I've been making home made bread a lot lately now that I have my red wheat. It made all the difference! The bread turns out perfect... just the way I love it. Even the kids are begging for bread with honey and butter for treats. We're going through it fast enough, though, that I may need to start substituting some of the regular white flour from the store for part of the wheat or my kids will have some major cases of the runs for a really long time. They need broken in to all this whole wheat.

It's warming up just enough outside that my kids are playing outside again with no more than coats on. Snow gear was just such a hassle! And Ashton couldn't walk around too easily with tall boots on and deep snow to trudge in so he'd be done and back inside within 10 minutes of gearing him up and sending him out. With them out more, I can already see a significant change in how much easier it is to keep my house looking presentable. I can't wait for Spring! A new baby, lots of flowers, warm sun, happy healthy kids getting exercise, starting the garden, a clean house, it's all getting me super excited.

No comments: