Sunday, May 30, 2010

Keeping Track of Growth and Fitness

Well, school got out and this weekend is our first of the summer.  It's supposed to be summer anyway. We'll hope for the sun to come out soon.

I'm always impressed with how much healthier kids look at the end of the summer compared to before summer begins. I thought it would be a fun experiment to measure my children's height and weight and get their body mass index at the beginning of the summer. I'll do it again at the end and see if there really is a measurable change or if it's all in the sun tan.

This summer, the kids have plans for gymnastics, frequent swimming at Grandma's pool, swimming lessons, triathlon trianing (as much as you can expect from kids), play group at the park, outtings to the mountains, and good old fashioned playing hard outside with the neighborhood. I'm curious to see if there will be a change in the numbers. Maybe just growing taller... But we'll see.

I used the following web sites to enter measurements to find children's height and weight percentiles and their BMI:



Brielle
Height: 46.75" (73rd percentile)
Weight: 45lb (49th percentile)
BMI: 14.5  (29th percentile)


Ashton
Height: 39.25" (68th percentile)
Weight: 34.5lb (65th percentile)
BMI: 15.8  (47th percentile)


Lainey
Height: 29.6" (57th percentile)
Weight: 20lb (28th percentile) (She went from 10th percentile to 28th in 4 months! Sheesh!)
BMI: 16  (Couldn't find baby BMI percentiles)


Let the summer fun begin!

No comments: