Sunday, November 2, 2014

New Puppy, Ollie

Well, I vowed never to have another dog after our dog, Taffy died 8 years ago of a ruptured gut.  She had chewed on the wire that heats her water bucket- out of boredom, I'm sure.  With only a tiny-sized Brielle around, we just weren't able to entertain Taffy the way labs need.  And the damage she did in just the first two days of owning her was extensive.  So she became an outside dog for two tough years. 

Todd's dad has a girl and a boy Shih-Tzu.  The boy has had Todd begging me to change my mind about owning a dog because he's SO dang cute.  Really brawny for a little dog and a beautiful brown color.  I knew better. I know how much work they are. I know how kids lose interest in helping out after not too long and it all falls on Mom who is the one that is home all day.  I just remember the barking at night and the not sleeping and the accidents all around the house and guilt of not playing with them enough and I just don't have the time and energy!!!  I would always say I like dogs too much to own one.  I want them all to have a better life than Taffy did.

But I got overruled by the time Todd's dad had one puppy left unclaimed and it happened to be the VERY dog Todd singled out from the beginning when they were first born- the one that looks the most like the dad. I broke out the big guns like, "Our wood floors aren't sealed and urine will go down into the cracks and you can't get that out!  And, my health is not so great and I can't afford to lose any more sleep!  And, what about when we travel because we love to leave town as often as possible.

What could I do?  I gave in.  And I'm so glad I did. 

Ollie (Oliver) is nothing like a lab.  He is timid and sweet not crazy hyper and sweet.  He is quiet.  He doesn't shed.  He's hypoallergenic.  He's cuddly.  He loves to sleep on my feet when I'm sitting on the couch or at the computer.  He doesn't hurt anyone.  He hasn't destroyed anything yet (We've had him now almost 3 months as I'm back-dating this when I write it).  He has had accidents, but only when we aren't on top of it and he's mostly potty trained now.  I just LOVE him.  He's the perfect dog for us.  I am probably more smitten by him than any of us and that's saying something. I still think adult labs are so great.  But I'm just not willing to go the distance again of the first two years of puppy life. It's so nice to have an innocent totally devoted buddy in the house.  Thank you Rex and Cindy for this lovable little guy!

Picking up Ollie at Grandpa's house.

On a side note, and probably something worth mentioning on the blog.  We had a toilet flood our bathroom over night the night after we came home from the Oregon coast.  We had disaster cleanup crew and construction workers and contractors and insurance adjusters in and out of the house CONSTANTLY for 8 weeks.  M.I.S.E.R.A.B.L.E.  experience.  Buy nice toilets.  Anyway, for all the trafficking and messes, they covered our floors in plastic.  I thought that was not such a bad thing to have everywhere when starting out with a puppy!  #Lookingonthebrightside.




Here he is 2 months later (4 and a half months old) after his first hair cut.  They said he was pretty resistant so it's a bit choppy and uneven around the face.  But SO nice to see his eyes.  I'm sure he is grateful to see as well!


No comments: