Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Pageant Night with Brielle

Last week Brielle participated in the Miss Western Idaho/Miss West River Valley Pageant.  A young lady in our ward, Micah Koopman, asked Brielle to be her "Little Sister" for the event.   

We weren't sure what Brielle was actually doing when she was invited to participate, but Brielle was extatic to help out in ANY way.  She kept calling it the Princess Pageant.  Adding to her excitement was the fact that her friend, Grace Davis, was asked by another contestant to be a "Litte Sister" in it too. 

Brielle and Grace went to practice together at Weiser High School the night before the pageant event.  They had ice cream and played at the park afterward.  Their role was a sort of escort during the Evening-Wear part of the pageant.  They held their contestant's hand, walked with them to the front of the stage, got twirled, gave a big hug, then walked off stage.  I loved that Brielle's "Big Sister" was Micah.  They're both cute-to-boot red heads.  They really look like sisters!

Brielle in her sparkly dress.
Her dress shed glitter everywhere she sat.  I think she actually liked that about her dress...  It's like spreading "cheer" or something to little girls.  =)

With her "Big Sister", Micah.

Riley Davis, Brielle, and Grace Davis

Brielle was excited that I let her wear make up to be on stage.  Only on her eyes, and I tried to keep it natural.  The tips of her eyelashes are getting sun-bleached to a STARK white this summer and her eye brows are very light too.  I love her pretty pale green eyes.  She got big eyes from the Stice side.  I love how they pop when you can see her eye lashes and eye brows!

Micah won Miss Congeniality and Chelasey Fife, (on the right) won Miss West River Valley. Chelasey was Grace's Big Sister and is also in our ward.

My friend Lorrie Richins with her daughter, Liz. 
Liz won Miss Western Idaho. 

Congratulations to them all!  They did a fabulous job.

I will admit that I've never been a big pageant fan in the past.  But my stereotype opinions were pretty much obliterated when I attended this pageant, knowing most of the girls, and listening to the work they had to do to grow and be ready for it.  Tons of community service, public speaking, charity fundraising for their platforms, marketing for the event itself, a lot of time polishing up talents to perform on stage, and living to be an active positive role model.  They are SERIOUSLY accomplished young ladies.  It really blew me away.  I could do without the swim suit part of the competition.  But if Brielle decides she wants to do one before college to try to get a scholarship, I won't be as bull headed against it as I would have been a week ago.  Which, I suspect is why they have the "Little Sisters" envolved in the first place ;-)

No comments: