I received a free CrossFit workout coupon at a local race I ran last year and when Dean, my neighbor, personally invited me to use it, I figured I had nothing to lose. I did lose, pant sizes, that is. I only lost 2 pounds, but I dropped 3 pant sizes in 5 weeks! I knew I was building lean strong muscle because my ability to do things like push-ups and pull-ups increased rapidly. I had to quickly re-evaluate my diet so I would stop shrinking, but be able to do the work outs. The work outs were SHORT. But they were intense. We lifted weight/ran/did body weight exercises in intervals as fast as we could without jeopardising form. It was FUN. The environment was a garage, yet it was anything but dreary and dull. Nothing but energizing, encouraging, intense, and fun. In short, I was smitten with CrossFit.
The majority of CrossFit's workouts are generally set up to complete a certain amount of rounds of certain tasks for time, or to do those tasks for a set amount of time and see how many rounds you can do in that time. (Glycolytic conditioning) Both create the need for speed. Then, the more weight you can manage while holding the correct form, the more intense the work out becomes. I love the element of racing. Not to compete with others, but with myself. Just like in triathlons. There's no chance I'd ever win a triathlon, but I love to race against myself and my own expectations in each race. In CrossFit, you race against your time from when you last did that workout. You record your times or rounds accomplished with the date.
The workouts are different from day to day. Some workouts are repeated after several months, some in over a year. Using constantly varied workouts not only promotes muscle confusion, but as CrossFit intends, it prepares the athlete for the unknown or unknowable. They can be conditioned to do whatever life requires and do it well. Where a marathon winner or an olympic weightlifting champion are specialized in their sport, CrossFit specializes in NOT specializing. They perscribe a broad, general, and inclusive fitness using constantly varied, functional movements at a high intensity.
Again, the workouts are not repeated often. But when they are, you go back and find the time to race against it. It's a way of challenging yourself to always be better and better and break your last record. It's a way of measuring fitness that I really really like. Elite athletes do compete with each other by recording and comparing their times on CrossFit's website.
I thought I'd give the "encyclopedia" version of what CrossFit is:
CrossFit is a brand of strength and conditioning. It is considered a sport- the "sport of fitness". CrossFit combines weightlifting, cardio (running/rowing/biking, etc.), and gymnastics. It trains for proficiency in each of ten fitness domains: cardiovascular/respiratory endurance, stamina, strength, flexibility, power, speed, coordination, agility, balance, and accuracy. It defines fitness as increased work capacity across broad time (varying lengths of time doing exercise) and modal domains (a wide variety of tasks/exercises). Its program achieves this by provoking neurological and hormonal adaptations across all metabolic pathways.
CrossFit athletes train as a group in a class-like setting. Classes at affiliated gyms typically include a warm-up, stretching, a skill development segment, and a high-intensity workout that on averages lasts 5 to 20 minutes. They run, row, jump rope, climb rope, carry odd objects, move large loads quickly over long distances, use power lifting and Olympic weightlifting techniques. Among their equipments used are dumbbells, gymnastics rings, pull-up bars, kettle bells, sleds, plyometric boxes, over-sized tires, and medicine balls. They use many body weight exercises such as pull ups, push ups, sit ups, squats, burpees, etc. CrossFit emphasizes the importance of functional movements and exercises- doing things that mimic something we do in daily life. These movements are natural, safe, effective, and efficient. ie: lifting something overhead (push press), sitting down to a sofa/toilet and standing up from it (squat), bending over to pick something up off the floor (dead lift).
CrossFit is used in nearly 2,000 gyms worldwide and by many fire departments, law enforcement agencies, and military organizations.
These are a couple of my favorite CrossFit videos:
This is an Adidas commercial with my favorite male and female CrossFit athletes;
Chris Spealler and Heather Bergeron.
So that's CrossFit. I've gotten a little bit of slack for it because I'm already a small person. No, I'm not trying to lose weight. No, I'm not a body builder. CrossFit cares very little about either of those things. They are all about having ultimate fitness by being able to DO great things. Today's society tends to think exercise is for people who need to lose weight, or people who are obsessed with their muscles being huge. I met my weight and size goals a while ago. So why would I still be exercising? Because it's supposed to be a life-long lifestyle. And to me, strenth is a journey not a destination. My size isn't changing, but I'm getting stronger. More and more every day. I don't want to just complete a triathlon, I want to really put my all into it and BE an athlete.
One of the things I really like about CrossFit is that it doesn't try to make women conform to a mold of what society says women "should" look like. Today's media would have every woman feel pressure to look one way- even at the expense of true health. And typically that's very thin and not very muscular. But we all have unique bodies.
Women in CrossFit break the mold of trying to look like woman are pressured to look. They accept their body how it is built. And appreciate what their body is capable of achieving in terms of performance. It's very refreshing to walk into a gym environment where everyone's body is acceptable. They're just trying to DO something more than they did the time before.
Inevitably, CrossFit will make a person lean. CrossFit workouts are metabolicly affective such that they continue burning calories, not just during the workout, but for up to 48 hours afterward. Someone wanting to get lean from CrossFit will get lean. And most women doing CrossFit get to a healthy kind of lean. But that is not the primary objective for being there.
Anyway, if anyone thinks this is something they would be interested in, go to crossfit.com, and look up an affiliate instructor in your area. CrossFit is modified for all ages and fitness levels. If you can't do a single pull-up or push-up, they modify them for you. It's always simply about getting better and better each time. It's a blast and you'll love it.

4 comments:
CrossFit sounds great! You are so right, exercise and being healthy is a lifestyle--something that people should continually do. Sorry you've gotten some slack about your size because you look fantastic and strong! I was actually worried about loosing too much weight right before Christmas, so now I workout only 3 times a week instead of 5 (I was doing 5 after Elden was born and lost about 50 pounds, but now I just want to maintain my size). Anyway, I need to do some muscle building workouts though. I am excited to read about any upcoming races you will do this year! You are amazing Sarah!!!
Sarah, you are genius - I was planning to call you & ask about CrossFit! :)
I have been feeling guilty lately that (though I am thin) I do nothing to be strong/healthy. These work outs sound relatively short - maybe I could even fit it in my schedule!
How would you compare the effectiveness of this and P90X if you are familiar with P90X?
Sounds like awesome workouts. Wish me going to a gym were more feasible right now. P90X works for me because I can do it at home. BUT it def. isn't as stimulating as cross-fit seems to be. Exercising should be fun!! (though Im not going to lie -- haven't done much of anything since I tore my achilles.) Thanks for posting. Gives me something to think about and maybe work towards.
We have P90X too and I do like it. I know a lot of people that have really benefited from it. That's what I had been using when I started CrossFit. CrossFit is definitely more challenging, but if you're looking for something to do at home, in my “non-expert” opinion, I think P90X is one of the best home fitness regiments out there.
As far as how the two are different, here are the main differences I see:
1. P90X repeats workouts a lot more frequently. They are both good about muscle confusion, but CrossFit has enough work outs they pull from that I actually don’t have a clue how many there are.
2. CrossFit workouts are a lot shorter. Sometimes 10 minutes where P90X can hit an hour and a half.
3. They both use a lot of body weight exercises, but CrossFit uses more compound movements than P90X. Like dead lifts, snatches, and cleans. Many call for heavier weight in them. The moves are technical and need coaching, but use more large muscle groups which burns more calories and produces more growth hormone= more muscle faster. Because P90X is for the home, the weights are pretty much limited to dumbbells and, though they use them for a variety of things, a lot of them are isolated movements, something CrossFit doesn‘t do- like bicep curls.
4. CrossFit uses intervals, but does the same interval for the full workout, using less exercises in each overall workout. P90X does each sequence of exercises a couple of times and moves on to another sequence, covering many exercises in one workout. CrossFit may only do an average of 2-5 different tasks in the whole workout, repeated several times.
5. CrossFit doesn’t have rest periods between exercises. That could be eliminated in P90X by pressing “skip” on the rest periods. But in CrossFit, you are expected to go as fast as you can manage with good form. If you have to rest, it simply adds to your final time. The workouts are totally anaerobic- burning fat while building muscle.
6. Because you go at your own pace, everyone may be on to a different task at any given point in the workout, and therefore they don’t follow an instructor like in P90X. The workout is written on the board to look to. The instructor is there to watch and coach during the workout, encouraging and guiding your form.
CrossFit is fairly affordable for the coaching you get from it. It’s a lot cheaper than personal training, because it’s a class setting. Personal training would give you workouts specific to your body composition and needs where in CrossFit, everyone does the same workout, just at their individual level- like P90X. I'm not sure what they charge from one gym to the next.
But, still, I think for something to do at home, what you're doing is awesome. It definitely makes people fit and shows impressive discipline to do everyday on your own without anyone waiting for you to show up!
Post a Comment