This weekend was the big race for Todd and his Dad, Rex. They both got road bikes two months ago and amped up the training. They thought it was going to be 50 miles, but on the drive to Ellensburg, Washington, Todd got online on his phone to see the event web site and noticed that the races were 50K and 100K. So kilometers, not miles. Which converts to 30 miles and 60 miles. They didn't want to have driven all that way just to do 30 miles, they do that all the time at home now. So they opted to stretch to 60 and hope they could make it. It was 61.9 to be exact ;-)
Cindy (Rex's wife- Todd's step mom) and I followed along in the car taking pictures and filming them from time to time. It was inspiring to see them push themselves so much more than they meant to do there. They made it in just under 4 hours, which was great considering all the hills! They actually did REALLY well on the hills. The hills were just one right after the next and they never had to get off and walk, and in fact, that was where they passed people the most.
It was really pretty country and a beautiful day. They call it the Drier Ride because, even though it is nestled in between rainey areas, even when the forecast calls for rain, it rarely rains there. And sure enough, it rained everywhere that day EXCEPT the area the ride covered. Kind cool. We were worried. But it's been a dry ride there for 14 years running!
Grandma Lee kept Brielle and Ashton for us and we took Lainey along. She was especially good the whole time.
Also, for the journal...Last week we took the family to feed the ducks (and the mob of geese that hang around there) at Malheur Park in Ontario. Brielle is scared to death of geese now! Seriously, she cried hysterically at them! Ashton loved them and Lainey just stared with big bug eyes.
The General Relief Society Broadcast was insightful. Lots of good stuff to apply to my calling. I especially loved the dinner/social before it because Norma Nawahine was in charge of the menu. She is half Hawaiian half Chinese. And she made the yummiest Chinese meal for everyone!
I leave for my girls getaway in 3 days! I'm so excited! I still won't be able to sleep in because I'll have Lainey with me. But it will be great fun!
I actually cheated and got to see one of my getaway friends early, Stephanie, who was my best friend growing up. She and and her family drove through this area to see family and stopped by. I met her two youngest for the first time and we had a fun time talking over lunch for a couple of hours. I can't wait to see her and the other girls this weekend!!!
On a VERY sad note, this weekend one of my closest friends here in Fruitland let me know that their family will be moving next month. I am so sad. Her husband has been our home teacher for almost 5 years. She has been my singing partner during that time. Thier oldest is a daughter Brielle's age and they are tight pals. Their second is a son close to Ashton's age and they are buddies. Thier youngest is a girl Lainey's age. As you can see, the friendship was a neat match. This is a pic taken last year of the kids on a 4 wheeler evening with this family. We are happy for them to be moving on to new and exciting things in Arizona as he has taken a very cool job working for a company our local general authority owns. But the Arnett family will be very missed.
Today was the monthly quilt class our ward does. I love the ladies that teach it, they are just amazing quilters and very fun personalities. I've learned a lot, but need to get my rear over to a fabric store so I can do a project and actually practice what I've learned before I forget it all! I haven't used my sewing machine since Lainey and Brielle's bedroom got the overhaul. Time to dust it off...
Flight 93 Memorial
1 month ago

1 comment:
So sad that your friends are moving! Is it Marci? I'm just guessing - I could be WAY off! I remember you talking about this family (but can't remember names)and know how much you have loved their friendship. That has happened to us a couple times either with us moving or our friends and its SO hard!
Post a Comment