Monday, March 14, 2011

Top 10 Reasons Why This Weekend (including today) Was Awesome

1)  For starters, today the sun was shining AND the sky was all blue.  First time I've seen this combination since... October... I think.

2)  Todd and I went to the temple for Date Night this weekend.  That always leaves me feeling uplifted.  I felt like I was able to have a quiet mind for the first time in weeks.  It's been so difficult lately to slow down or think straight.  But I finally felt a moment's peace there.

3)  I visited a wonderful friend in Weiser this weekend.  I always leave Lorrie's with an extra spring in my step. She has a gift for making people feel very loved.

4)  Todd took Brielle and Ashton to see a cartoon at the movie theater while Lainey and I went to a nearby pond to feed the ducks.  It was precious time to spend, one-on-one with her, and we both enjoyed the fresh air and good company immensely.  There were actually a slew of several sorts of birds there.  We fed ducks, geese, and seagulls.  Lainey especially loved running toward the seagulls whenever they'd settle on the shore because they'd scatter off in flight from her in such an amusing flutter.

5)  I went to the Stake Relief Society Broadcast this weekend.  Yet another uplifting event.  Three talks were given.  All three felt inspired just for little 'ol me.  I love how the spirit can make everyone in the room feel that way.  Lunch was served afterwards and it was great to visit with friends.  AND eat home made Gluten- Free Chicken Noodle Soup.  Who knew that would taste so good!

6)  A few friends of mine have come to use our gym recently and I've been guiding them in some quick metabolic conditioning exercises.  I'm no personal trainer and I make that VERY clear.  But I share what I've learned, share my equipment, and encourage them.  I'm seeing some good friends of mine make fast improvements!  Outside of the joys of my own family, few things make me feel as fulfilled as helping women feel stronger.  Something about it makes me indescribably happy. 

7)  I went visiting teaching this morning.  The kids had a blast playing with the other kids and I had a great visit with friends.

8)  A friend called today saying she made way too much dinner.  She starts cooking dinner really early in the day as she cooks every bit of it from scratch. She asked if I'd "take some off her hands".  She would not take "No, you keep it for left-overs" for an answer.  AND she is a fabulous cook.  So of course, after arguably vague persuasion, I folded like a lawn chair.  Apparently she "accidently" does this quite often for people.  I think that's about the coolest thing I've ever heard of.  And our family LOVED being the recipients of her sweet service.  Man, this world is full of awesome people!

9)  Our kids have been doing workouts at home in our gym.  It blows me away how strong kids are!  And especially for their size-  They're so little!  Brielle jumped about half her height today!  And Ashton, though he got a little distracted before he could try much higher, did still do some nice jumps. 


                            




10)  I saw my first itty bitty weed on our property (first of this year) this weekend!  Yes, that sounds like a terrible thing to get excited about, but it means warmer brighter days are swiftly approaching.  And I'm actually very eager to work our own dirt as a family.  I almost took a picture of the little green guy, but that DID seem a little too cynical. :-)  But it was my first sign of Spring.

Spring is my favorite season.  Its symbolism is just so happy.  New life.  New beginnings.  Starting fresh. Clean.  Brighter and brighter mornings.  (No, I'm not a fan of Daylight Savings.  I have 3 small children, are you kidding!??)  Warmer and warmer days.  More energy.  More hope. 

Being completely honest, I do not like New Year's Resolutions.  I think it's silly to make goals just for the sake of making goals.  I think goals should be made where there is a need and a desire for them.  At least I think a need and a desire would yield to more success with goals.  But if one was to make goals every year at the same time of year, for the sake of making goals... I think it should be in the Spring.  I think more people would follow through with them before February and March sucked the life out of their ambition.

Happy Spring everyone.







1 comment:

steph said...

LOVED this post, thanks for sharing it!! And...send some sun our way please, I'm dying with all this rain!! Love you!