Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Brielle's Rock Star B-day Party


For Brielle's 7th birthday party, we chose to do a Rock Star theme.  I was so excited when I first heard about this party theme from a friend, but then started to wonder if girls this young would even know what a rock star was, let alone care to party like one!  No need to worry there.  I learned quick that there is a rock star in EVERY little girl!

These were the invitations/tickets.  I had tickets to the Sheryl Crow concert coming up in a couple months so I used them for a reference and did my best to make the format look the same on my computer.  Probably the cheapest invitations we've made so far!

As the girls arrived, I had them use sidewalk chalk to draw a star on "Hollywood Sidewalk" and write their name in it.


  
When they finished their stars, they filtered in and played with the loose balloons on the floor until everyone was done outside, and ready to start the next activity.



For our craft, we glued silver star-shaped confetti to star-shaped sunglasses.  I'll include some prices in this in case anyone else wants to try this party theme. ($5.99 for a dozen of the sunglasses on orientaltrading.com).








Then we gave each girl an inflatable guitar, and broke out Miley Cyrus (her version of "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" and a few others.)  Most of the time we played "Freeze Dance".  But we let them just enjoy bouncing a around a while too. The girls really got into jamming on their guitars!  Jumping up and falling in the splits, scooting on their backs on the floor, spinning around to make their hair go every which way, it was absolutely hilarious and adorable.  I got schooled in rockin' out by a bunch of 6/7 year-olds!  ($35 bought each girl an inflatable guitar and an inflatable microphone from onrientaltrading.com to use at the party and take home as party favors.)









Then they each got an inflatable microphone and sang along to, "Love Story" by Taylor Swift.  Most of them knew every word!


  



More dance music.



I made cupcakes.  Although, I didn't make the frosting...  FYI, in case you didn't know this- I discovered that Wal-Mart will sell their frosting made fresh in the bakery and dyed whatever color you want.  Maybe all stores do.  I can never get my frosting to look HOT pink.  So I figured I had nothing to lose to ask if they'd do it there in the bakery, which they were happy to do.  They sold it to me in a large confection bag for a little over a dollar!








  What's a rock star party without smashing a guitar?  (Don't worry, I didn't tell them that.  Didn't want to give them any wrong ideas.) (Pinata was 12.99 at partycity.com.)

Brielle had a soccer game before the party and got back with minutes before the party was supposed to start.  She quickly changed, but we didn't have a lot of time to do her hair the way we had hoped.  This picture (below) is the only one that shows that we did try to do something!  And to top it off, her tutu that we ordered came in the wrong size- size THREE!  She still wanted to wear it anyway.  But she wants to take a rock star picture here soon when we have time to put more effort in, to see what she was supposed to look like.  She still looked fine, just not as rock star-ish as we'd planned.









 After everyone had wiped out the candy and left the room, Lainey was putting two and two together. Hit the pinata... and candy comes out.

Didn't quite work for her...  but the girls shared.  :-)


Brielle got a Webkins for one of her gifts and the last few girls to leave were able to show her how to use it. 

This was probably my favorite party to date.  I'm a big kid.  I enjoy it as much or more than my kids do!



4 comments:

aftonelam said...

You are the coolest mom ever, what a great party. P.S. the pics looked great. Sorry I missed you at the reunion, my husband got a enw job that same week so we had a change in plans.

kd said...

Another awesome party by Sarah!

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

Another fabulous party! Great job! I LOVE the invitations. AND it's great to know about the frosting at Wal-mart. Who knew? I am going to have to use that resource!

Cindy said...

Looks like the party was a hit! You are so creative!