Todd and I spent a good chunk of Saturday in Meridian at the Farm Man Race. We both ran the 5K together. I pushed hard! I like the thrill of races with so many people and everyone giving it their all. So when I arrived and found out this one wasn't timed, I just made it my goal not to get passed by anyone. Only one man passed me. But in all of their defense, not being timed, who knows who else was really even running very hard... I just figure I can jog with friends any time. I wanted to give it my all! I had a Candida flare up the weekend of the Run For The Hills race and felt terrible running, especially at the end. I still did well, but not as good as I should have. So I was really hoping I could redeem myself at this.
It turned out to be 3.65 miles long with no clock to be timed with whatsoever so I have no idea how things really went. My knees were about shot by the end because my hips, being so offset, can't usually stand to be jarred for more than 3 miles. But my body felt great- much better than the Run For the Hills Race. It was fun- they had part of the race in a corn maze, parts where we zig-zagged up and down deep empty ditch banks (that was hard), tire jumps, climbed hay stack pyramids, army crawled, etc. Todd was WAY ahead of me in the 5K.
Todd and I with my CrossFit coach and the CrossFit gang.
On the registration web site, they advertised a CrossFit challenge to take place there that day as well. And they offered a discount on it if you signed up for both the 5K and the challenge. So I signed up for both. I realized later that they were super close together not leaving very much time to cool down from the run!
About 30-45 minutes after finishing the run, they called people over for the CrossFit challenge. I asked around how people's 5K went and none of the people I talked to had done it! I was instantly feeling a little intimidated being wore out from my run and in the midst of a group of fresh lungs and legs. THIS event was timed and WAS a competition. I didn't struggle to be able to see the directions being given through the crowd because I figured I'd just be following the pack anyway. I even let people start in front of me. I was sure I'd do terrible!
The race started with a bunch of walking lunges. Those people in front of me ended up starting slower than I wanted to go but it took me some time to get through their wall of lunges. When I did brake free, I lost a little bit of time losing my way for a while in the course, because (now regrettably) I hadn't payed attention to where I was supposed to go! There was a short run in the corn maze (not where I got lost- there were arrows in it), a run through a bumpy field while holding a pumpkin, more hay pyramid climbing, tire flipping, tire pushing and pulling across a bumpy field (hard), several other tire things, and hay bail facing burpees with push-ups. By the end, I still took 4th place! Even with my detours and being held back in the slow pack a long time. I felt pretty small and wimpy compared to a lot of those other girls, so to say I was shocked would be an understatement. I really wish I had taken it more seriously, but I'm still excited to have done my first CrossFit Challenge and done fairly well at it.
My First CrossFit Challenge
After the competition, Todd and I went to lunch with the CrossFit gang. I somehow lucked out that everyone chose Goodwood as it is my all-time favorite restaurant! It was a fun morning/afternoon. We spent a few hours at home with the kids before heading out again to the adult session of Stake Conference. The kids stayed back with a babysitter and watched Halloween cartoons with a pumpkin shaped pizza. The conference was awesome, as usual. Elder Bowen of the 1st quorum of the Seventy presided at the meeting and spoke for most of the 2 hours. Most of his time was a question/answer session where the audience could ask any gospel question they'd been wondering. Todd got a question answered he'd mentioned a few years ago. That meeting is my favorite in the church. Elder Bowen said it best- it's a commandment to go to church on Sunday, but the Saturday adult session is where people who want to be there go. And the leaders always speak differently because of it. If you don't normally attend that meeting, you are missing out and I encourage you to go next time! Don't forget to grab ice cream afterwards!




1 comment:
I too love the adult session of Stake Conference. Several times we've drug our kids along, gone to a room with speakers wired to the chapel and let them play with some toys or put on a DVD. Ours is this weekend and my sister Lois will be here to babysit so that will be fun! Great job on your 5k and the CrossFit challenge! Oh, and the DC temple (depending on which way you go and how much traffic) is between 2 to 2 1/2 hours. It's been so nice that we can drop our kids off at Lois'. We watch her kids too so they can go. In Missouri, Lee and I would just swap. He would take them to the park, and then I would take them shopping. They must be doing extensive renovations to have the temple closed for two years! Wow! Take care!
Post a Comment