Saturday, March 2, 2013

Ashton's Birthday Party

Ashton asked for a Lego birthday party this year.  It was kind of fun to do that theme.  I had big plans for invitations since I typically enjoy making them, but ran out of time this year.  We just bought some Lego invitations.  The hardest part was narrowing down Ashton's invitation list.  He had over 20 boys he wanted to invite and I took note last year that 12 was WAY too many little boys.  The goal was 8 this year, but it was hard.  He has so many new friends now in Kindergarten combined with his friends from church, the CrossFit kids that come with their moms 3 days a week, and old neighbors from our old neighborhood.  I made the rule that it had to be someone he had actually had a play date with over the last year.  That helped, but I felt terrible excluding children- some belonging to my own very good friends.

No, I'm no cake expert.  My cakes always look messy.  I used a small muffin-sized muffin tin to make the knobs on top of the cake.  I'm not a food coloring fan so when I saw how much blue it took already just to make baby blue, I just had to stop :)

Our Lego favors were Lego candy which was super cheap bought in bulk on Amazon.  Should have bought less but it was so cheap that I thought what the heck, better to be safe.  I paid MUCH more for this treat on my last girls trip at a cute little candy store in Bend so I was all about paying less for more.

They also got a little Lego superhero (in the small package), a Lego memory game (hindsight: they probably will never play it), a Lego eraser, and a crayon Lego/Lego man set from Etsy.  I know, I know, you can make them but I'm just not that crafty, and too busy to say the least.


 We always do a coloring to keep the boys busy until everyone arrives, but I learned this year, it's really not the boys' favorite thing.  Half of them needed MAJORLY swindled into sitting down to it.  Some just never did...
I printed the Lego man off of google images and added the 6 myself.




The gift table.

The party table.


One of Ashton's gifts from us was a Lego car set and a descent sized Lego brick set.  So our next activity was to use those and give each boy a set of wheels and let them build a car.















Then we played Lego Bingo- with Lego bricks. (Lego Bingo)










This gift was a huge hit to keep them busy for a bit.  We're flexible :)



Last was the pinata!





Todd had to finish it off, it was a sturdy little sucker!









No comments: