Friday, November 8, 2013

Ben's Baptism

Ben and Debbie are friends we met in church.  Debbie has been a member of our ward for a long time.  Todd and one of his best friends, Tim, were assigned to be Debbie's home teachers three years or so ago.  They said a prayer before their first visit, then knocked on the door.  Debbie wasn't home, just Ben, and Ben wasn't a member of the church so they assumed they'd just reschedule.  But he invited them in, to their surprise, and he struck up a spiritual conversations, being very open about how things were going in his life.  It was a really special experience.  They continued to home teach both Ben and Debbie and became very good friends with Ben.  There is a special place in our hearts for this family.  Ben moved months ago to Washtington where, on his own, he found the missionaries to receive the discussions (lessons) that they give.  He decided to be baptized but wanted Tim and Todd to be part of it.  He got permission from the mission president here to be baptized here even though he lived in another mission's boundaries.  He asked Todd to baptize him and Tim to comfirm him a member of the Church of Jesus Christ and to give him the Gift of the Holy Ghost. 

The baptism was held on November 8th, 2013.  It was a very special thing to have been a part of his journey and see him take that step of commitment and follow the Savior into the waters of baptism.  He came up out of the water so happy and looked upward just smiling and then hugged Todd in the biggest embrace.  He bore a powerful testimony over the pulpit to the audience after changing and meeting back in the Sacrament Room.  I was certainly moved.  I love the humility in someone who has made the leap of faith to trust in the Savior's call to repent, be baptized, and take upon His name.  They are being reborn as it were.  And it is life changing.  But not in a way that is as hard as some may think.  Taking the Savior's path, He makes life peaceful, light, the spirit is with that person, comforting them, guiding them, refining them all along the way.  Baptism cleanses us of our past sins, but repentance every day as we continue in faith in the Savior keeps us in a constant cleansing and refining process.  

I love being a part of a baptism service.  I love how inspired I always leave by witnessing someone's convictions and commitment.  I love the Gospel.  I love how centered it has made my life and the joy I feel each day living it the best that I can.  I'm so happy for Ben that he is on the path that makes us feel that way.


No comments: