Day 6
Day 5 was Pirate Day on the ship. The boat stopped in Jamaica on the 5th day at sea. We took a bus ride to Dolphin's Cove. First item of business was the "dolphin encounter". Todd and the kids all got to play with the dolphins and I stayed aside to take pics. They really loved that.
Waving goodbye
Then we had a great Jamaican jerk chicken lunch on the beach while listening to live reggae music.
Spotting sharks
Lainey dancing to the reggae.
I won a t-shirt for answering the question right of who was the original king of Reggae...
it's not Bob Marley, it was Dennis Brown.
After eating and listening to music, we toured the trails along the coast and up into the jungle (short trails). The jungle housed a small petting zoo and the coast was lined with little shops. The whole cove was pirate themed, which was perfect for the ship's theme of the day!
No sinks in the bathrooms- just a spring to wash up in right outside the bathroom...
Fresh coconut water!
All 3 had pirate shorts on that day! (Shirts too when they wore shirts.)
Getting braids.
After Dolphin's Cove, the bus took us to Dunn's River Falls. I don't have my water camera pictures from this developed yet but will post them when I do. And the video they filmed of the hike and gave us isn't a format I'm familiar with. So I have yet to figure out how to post that on here. But it was very fun. They gave a holding-hands tour hiking up a long winding stretch of waterfall. Water shoes were required which is why I bought them for the trip. Looking at it, it looked crazy for kids to be permitted to do, but doing it felt easy. Some stretches had railing mounted along the edges to help people. There were slow stretches with wading/swimming pools, and short light water falls to jump down off of. We loved it! The Jamaican people were friendly here. However, we did notice throughout the day, wherever else we were, there was a slight disdain among the people. Since being home and talking about the trip with people, I've heard a commonality that people felt like Jamaicans didn't much like Americans. Not sure if that's true, but it felt like that at times. Still, the island is gorgeous and the excursions we did were a blast.
I did think our bus tour guide was extra friendly and fun. She had us all practicing our Jamaican accents all the way to wherever we went. She got us saying, "Ya Man" and "Evrathin's Airie", "No problummmm", etc.
Back at the Pier, we couldn't resist the sight of Diary Queen Blizzards.
Wearing their pirate tutus/tops I made them. Ashton received the mustache and patch as a gift in his fish extender. He wore that until the appointment came for the Bibbity Bobbity Boutique which had been "taken over by pirates" and they were doing pirate makeovers that evening.
Back on board and after changing, we went and watched the new Muppet Movie in the cruise theater.
We had tons of fun at dinner time. Lainey broke her glass cup from the get go. They had even asked me if I wanted a regular paper cup with a lid and I said she'd be fine. Dangit. Lainey was super embarrassed and started to cry and her server, who was all dressed up as a pirate, started trying to cheer her up saying he breaks 3-4 glass cups per day. He started performing a magic show. He cheered her right up. He made her this bird.
This rose for Brielle.
Also a paper napkin rose for Lainey.
A balancing act with forks and toothpicks. More forks every time. I think he stopped at 10 forks or so.
After dinner we we to the Bibbity Bobbity Pirate Boutique. Ashton's makeover included a costume. The girls already had theirs so they just got makeup and nails.
Once again, Lainey fell right into character. The pirate makeover team talked all about how they took over the boutique and how cool it was to be a pirate- all the behavior things to take note of like not bathing, not listing to rules, parlet, etc. The kids hollared "Arg!" all around the ship and had sword fights with their toy swords (included in their makeover).
Waiting for family pictures.
While waiting for the 10:30 fireworks show, we went to the D Lounge for a family Pirate Game Show,
"A Pirate's Life For Me".
"A Pirate's Life For Me".
Waiting on the pool deck (pools covered for more sitting space) to watch fireworks and a short pirate skit.
After fireworks was a dance "club pirate".
After the pirate party we went back to the room to put the kids to bed and Todd and I went to the theater again to watch the new Captain America.




No comments:
Post a Comment