Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Brielle and Ashton's Triathlon


Brielle and Ashton participated in the Emmett Children's Triathlon- the "Splash 'n Dash" this past Friday evening.  They were SO cute to watch. 

They had each child swim the length of the pool alone, for safety reasons.  So it didn't seem as competitive as their 1 mile run race this Spring.  They didn't all start at the same time you couldn't tell who was really faster or slower than anyone else.  They wore timing chips around their ankles like the adults do.  The distances were pool length swim (Non swimming children, like Ashton, ran the perimeter of a small children's wading pool.), a .75 mile bike, and a .5 mile run.  The line to start went first from oldest to youngest. 

Here's Brielle in the black and pink suit, waiting her turn.

She was so cute!  A lot of hard work put into training to do freestyle strokes!

The bike, however, was not the performance we were expecting. 
I still can't help laughing when I think about it.

All year, after each of Todd's races, Brielle would ask him if he won.  Only one guy out of hundreds can win and Todd's not a professional athlete in the lead racing to win.  So he would tell her that you don't do triathlons to "race", just to get to the finish.

Well, during the swim, parents were all around the pool and cheered the kids on loudly.  She swam pretty fast.  But when Brielle got on her bike, she pedaled along as leisurely as I've E.V.E.R.  seen a kid ride.  I told her to speed up and she hollered, "Dad said it's not a race. You just have to get to the finish, Mom!"  I stood there laughing not knowing what to say!  I wanted to shout, "He lied!!!"  I told her to go faster- she didn't have to win, but she DID have to go as fast as she could!

So on the run, I ran along side her and made sure she didn't stop to take a "stroll in the park". 

I ran ahead to shoot her finish.  She was so happy!

I missed Ashton's splash 'n dash around the kiddie pool, but he looked so cute in his little suit while waiting for it.

Todd tagged along with Ashton.

Dismounting his bike.  Ready to run!

Nearing the finish.

Ashton felt so famous thinking everyone cheering along the finish stretch had come just to see him!  Too cute.  He really thought he was a celebrity!

Our little cheerleader!

Grandma and Grandpa Stice came to cheer them on (they're the ones who got our family into triathlons last year.  Thank you both so much!)  Chase and Jenny came too, but they somehow got away without a picture!  Not sure how that happened.  I snap so much, most rocks and trees can't escape my lens!  But we appreciated them coming.

This race got it in the kids' head to "train" Lainey for a triathlon. They had her splash in the tub, pushed her around the patio on a tricycle, and run with her around the back yard a couple days in a row.

We took this on Sunday before baths.
(Father & Son)

(Pics of Todd's I's race from Saturday to come later.  I think I need a blog break!  The house is looking TERRIBLE!)

No comments: